Yumi on the coast

Nothing a douse of garlic chili pepper sauce can't fix.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

For my own personal remembrance.

My local friend Zineng, who probably has personal connections to practically every museum-affiliated person in Singapore, took me to an exhibition opening of a local artist's retrospective at the Singapore Art Museum. There was much free food, free wine and good art-viewing to be had, and the village rejoiced in a surprisingly unpretentious setting.

Anyhow, getting there involved riding on the back of his motorbike, which was a fantastic post-sunset experience of the island. Riding on a motorbike anywhere, really, is a wonderfully visceral way to experience any place. Maybe it's because watching the landmarks of the city whizz past you in the open air gives everything a more cinematic quality. Maybe it's because deep down, I know that I am too practical and un-badass to actually ever own and ride a motorbike, so better let a more experienced person drive while the wind whiplashes my face.

Oddly enough, motorbikes also remind me of The Last Life in the Universe--a movie made by a Thai filmmaker which takes place in Thailand, and stars Tadanobu Asano as a harmless librarian / Yakuza gangster / ridiculously attractive person. I know I name-drop this movie a lot, but only because it's one of my favorite movies ever. Plus, now that I've been to Thailand, I can appreciate the movie more once I watch it again when I come back from Singapore? Yes, exactly.