Yumi on the coast

Nothing a douse of garlic chili pepper sauce can't fix.

Monday, August 07, 2006

I'm finally here.

Where to begin?

I've been in Singapore for almost a week now at the National University of Singapore. It's three in the morning, and it's raining outside. Singapore is oftentimes hot and humid, but breaks into sporadic fits of intense rain, which is why you should always carry an umbrella with you wherever you go.

The first thing you notice when you take the taxi ride through Singapore is just how green this place is.

I've done and seen and tasted so many things I don't even know where to start. So maybe I'll start with pictures first.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Archana, a freshman from India, one of the first girls I met my first day here at the Prince George Palace residence building that is known for housing international students.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I secretly believe that Singapore, because it's such a tiny country that has only been around for forty-one years, has a subconscious compulsion to create the world's largest man-made things. Apparently this thing over here is the world's largest man-made fountain, located in Suntec City.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Little India is literally like stepping into another country, with its own distinctive smell of spices, jasmine garlands and incense.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Little India is also where, out of all places, we came across this CD in a music store, boasting a very non-Caucasian depiction of Jesus!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Finally, Little India is where I got my nose piercing for 35 Singaporean dollars. I'm so elated!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Jurong Bird Park.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is where all the owls and other nocturnal birds are kept, among other dark and evil things.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Flamingos!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A night view of the Singapore River.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Fragments of an international buffet dinner that was quite possibly the best day of my life.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We are waiting for Indonesian cuisine, and we can't contain our excitement!

--

Little thoughts:

The locals I've met in my residence hall, Temasek, are quite friendly. They know more about American pop culture than I do.

Dragon fruit juice is delicious. So is papaya juice, kiwi juice, mango juice, soursup juice and honeydew juice. I like how when it comes to fruit juices, Singaporeans go right down to the nitty-gritty of it. No preservatives, yogurt or protein shakes. Just straight-up fruit fed into a blender and shaken up with ice in a plastic cup.

So I never experienced the freshman fifteen when I first entered UCLA, but I won't be surprised if I come back fatter from my Southeast Asian travels. Food is ridiculously cheap and ridiculously good. I wonder, though, if two weeks from now I'm going to start craving hot dogs and french fries.

Clubbing at the very lavishly decorated Ministry of Sound, one of the newest clubs in Singapore that has three themed dance floors that plays hip-hop, retro music and house. There are few places in the world where you get hit on by a Malay-Chinese boy with earrings who buys you drinks and tries to get your number.

--

In Little India, I was waiting in line with a friend to buy some cheap samosas at a tiny hole-in-a-wall restaurant. I turn around and an Indian man walked right by me who seemed to have some kind of skin condition that gives him white, irregular splotches across his face and the rest of his body. It surprised me, and I immediately recoiled in fear.

I feel guilty about this. He probably gets this kind of reaction all the time.

--

I may be across the other side of the world, but you're all in my thoughts.